Like Family recognises that the health and safety of its Members, Social Carers and Employees is a priority and that if accidents or incidents do occur, they should be reported.
As an organisation we are committed to preventing workplace accidents and minimising dangerous occurrences. We endeavour to have a zero accident rate.
This policy applies to all employees, volunteers, contractors, and visitors under the control of Like Family. It has been developed to ensure that all of the aforementioned parties understand the process for reporting in the event of a dangerous occurrence or accident.
How do I report an incident to Like Family?
If you are involved in or aware of an incident as it is defined in this document, you must report it to Like Family within 24 hours of the incident occurring. If more than 24 hours have elapsed since the incident took place, you must still report it at the earliest opportunity.
An incident is any occurrence that results in or has the potential to result in illness, injury, or damage to property, equipment, material, vehicles, or the environment. It also includes any incidents or issues relating to a Social Carer or Member's overall safety and well-being.
The procedure for reporting an incident is as follows:
- Notify the team at Like Family of the incident and request a copy of our Incident Report. This form can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us on 1800 545 332.
- Once you have received a copy of the form, you must complete it promptly and return it to Like Family within 24 hours of receipt.
- From there, Like Family will assess and investigate the incident and provide further instruction on any further requirements on a case by case basis. The record provided will be kept on file as per NDIS requirements and actioned accordingly.
Where an ‘incident’ has not yet occurred, but the potential for one is evident, it must also be reported in the same manner.
Should the incident result in the loss of life, emergency services must be contacted via 000, and Like Family must be notified immediately. Under no circumstances are you to disturb the site until authorities or an inspector arrive.
The above does not apply if the disturbance to the site is for the purpose of:
- protecting the health and safety of any person; or
- aiding an injured person involved in an incident; or
- taking essential action to make the scene safe or to prevent a further occurrence of an incident.
If the incident takes place outside office hours and you are unable to contact Like Family by phone, email us at email@example.com with the details of the incident and we will contact you at the earliest opportunity.
If you are a Social Carer, it is your responsibility to action these steps as swiftly and efficiently as possible. If you are a member, we encourage you to speak directly with a member of the Like Family team immediately after an incident takes place so we can provide further direction and assistance to you in regards to the incident reporting process.
In the event a reportable incident takes place, Like Family may be required to forward relevant information to the NDIS Commission, who have specific timelines and guidelines for reporting that must be adhered to. It is for this reason that we must be made aware of an incident or potential for an incident at the earliest opportunity.
If you have any further questions or concerns regarding Incident reporting, please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1800 545 332.